uninsured motorist

Can I make a claim if I was in an accident with an uninsured motorist?

If you were in an accident with an uninsured motorist -- a driver that has no insurance--then you may be able to recover damages under your own insurance policy. According to West Virginia Code §33-6-31, every insured driver is required to have Uninsured Motorist Coverage for these minimums:

  • $25,000 property damage
  • $20,000 for one injury or death
  • $40,000 for two injuries or deaths

Furthermore, insurance companies must give you the option of purchasing more coverage for uninsured and uninsured motorist. You may decline the option to have more than the minimum coverage for uninsured coverage or any coverage at all. However, we recommend that you purchase uninsured and underinsured insurance. Purchase insurance in equal limits as your liability coverage, as rates are fairly reasonable.

What should I do if my insurance company is denying my claim?

Because they don't want to compensate you, many insurance companies deny coverage for any reason. Therefore, it is a good idea to contact a lawyer, if your insurance company is denying your claims for coverage. 

What should I do after the accident?

Consequently, after being hit by an uninsured motorist, it is important to put yourself in the best possible position by:

  • Taking photographs of the damages and the accident scene
  • Getting the information of the other driver
  • Calling the police so they can fill out an accident report
  • Visit your doctor to get a professional opinion on the nature and extent of any potential injuries
  • Consult with a lawyer about your options

An experienced lawyer can help you determine a proper, fair course of action after the accident. Kelly Reed and her team has won millions of dollars in compensation for her clients. Call today to schedule an initial free consultation. 304-292-2020.